Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Wow...

So yesterday I had a student (who likes to start drama) come up to me and say that another student (who ordinarily is a good boy) said that Raeleigh was R*******. Nice huh? 10 years old and already it begins. I decided not to say anything to anyone except Brandon last night. I told him that it just wasn't worth saying anything. The more I thought about it last night the more sleep I lost...mainly because it is a hate word and they need to know that. If they had said the "n" word it would have caused a riot! So I mentioned it to the teacher I am working under this morning and told her I still didn't think I should say anything to him but I also didn't know how to even go about addressing it. She was really upset that he had said it so she pulled him out and she and his homeroom teacher talked to him. At first he denied it completely but eventually he fessed up. They have called his mother b/c apparently he has been causing problems in other classes lately (like I said he is good for me)...he is getting paddled (decision of his mother)...for saying that word???..not really... but essentially THAT was the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm glad in a sense...he has set an example that it is WRONG and you CAN be punished for using "hate" words.

No comments: