Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I just can't get over this!

As I have mentioned before, I am currently teaching 5th grade. They are SO into the election! I am teaching Science but I did an entire lesson on the election and candidates yesterday (because the Social Studies teacher is not teaching them anything about it...grrrr!) It's obvious who the parents of the children are voting for based on things they say, but one thing has just stuck in my mind and I cannot get over it. A student raised their hand to tell me that their parents don't vote and told her she should never vote because your vote only counts if you are rich! WHY would you tell your kid that?!?! For one, it kind of says, "Don't ever plan on voting because you'll never be rich!" Secondly, it's just not true! I'm glad that it gave me the opportunity to make sure they knew that EVERY VOTE COUNTS!!!! Geez...some people!

No comments: